Did you miss this week’s RESULTS Webinar?
Here is a 2nd chance to listen to some of the best ideas to grow your business in these tough times.
Want to book a meeting?
What is your RESULTS M.A.P
We all know that we need a map to get somewhere. We need to know where we are on the map, and we need to know where we want to go on the map. Without that, all roads lead nowhere…
So, in business we need to know where we want to go and we need a map to help us to get there! Here lies the problem – Most businesses do not know:
- Where they are right now
- Where they want to go
- When they want to get there by
And they do not have any form of map to get themselves there.
This video is the first video in a series of seven videos I have produced based on the pneumonic of R.E.S.U.L.T.S. RESULTS is a business growth programme that I have developed over 25 years of study and learning from the best business, marketing and sales experts in the world.
The R in RESULTS stands for – RESULTS M.A.P. Map in this instance has two meanings. The formation of a map to get you where you want to go and a Massive Action Plan (M.A.P)
Go ahead and watch the video NOW…
I hope you enjoyed the video and benefitted from it.
If you did, then here is the next step…
- Do nothing and get the same results you’ve always got
- If you are a start-up, then you need to join The RESULTS Club. Here is the link and it is a total no brainer!
- If you getting towards the £100K turnover, or you are less than £250K, then you need this.
- If you turnover £250K to £1million, then this is for you.
- And for £1 million + businesses, then take a look at this.
Any questions, please drop me a line.
Are You Our Next Sales Superstar?
My company is called Croften Limited. Croften is a Marketing Agency providing design, digital marketing support, advertising management and website development. And we are expanding!
We specialise in technology, software, professional services, finance, leisure and B2B marketing companies. However, over the past 25 years, we have worked in over 1,000 industries.
We are seeking an experienced commission-only salesperson that can help us sell our marketing agency services as well as our online training and consultancy services. This is a work-from-home opportunity for any salesperson who has the ability to not only sell but also work on their own.
If you are an ambitious, confident and driven person who is results-driven, then we want to hear from you.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You’re an experienced salesperson who is confident in their ability to create sales on a high commission-basis
- You speak fluent English, both written and verbally
- You ideally have at least 2 years experience in sales
- You love selling and are a natural at closing
- You’re a born networker and prolific on LinkedIn
- You’re professional, respectful and care about helping others
- You’re super organised and follow up like a machine
Would be great if you also had:
- Previous sales experience of working within an agency
- Sales training and qualifications
- An available list of high quality and relevant leads you can immediately reach out to
Here’s what you’ll get in return:
- A dynamic, exciting company to work for
- Flexibility to work from home (or wherever you want!) and pick your own hours – we just care about the results!
- Product training
- sales training
- Lots of leads
- A CRM system
- An (uncapped) commission structure
To apply please email us at email@example.com
Coronavirus pandemic and the impact on business
Today I am looking at our plans right now and how they will need to change. All the plans I had will need to change; spending patterns, buying needs and customer behaviour will all change and we all need a plan.
This 10 point plan is for us all to use and should help us navigate the tough times ahead. It is clear there is a bell curve through which the virus will go and therefore your business. The fear factor will definitely kick in when it comes to doing business and I hope to tackle the main issues here today.
- Communication: When a crisis happens people become negative and fearful. It is therefore essential to build relationships with all your stakeholders at this difficult time. It will pay real dividends.
Your Team – You need to communicate with your team on a daily basis. Tell them what you are doing.
Your Customers – Use technology, what are you doing immediately to navigate this crisis.
Your Networks, Suppliers and Stakeholders – Communicate through all of your social media, what are you doing because of this crisis.
Community – Press Releases are really important at this time. Get a message out to the market place and let people know what is going on.
- Positive Thinking and Positive Approach: In any time of crisis and change you should be looking for the opportunities that arise. Where are the chances for your business to do better and create more success at this time and add value to your business?
You need to be the most positive member of your team and lead from the front – how do you win through this economic impact, stay focused on the positives and think about what you can do and not on what can’t be done.
- Know economic cycles: Usually, there is a 7 – 10-year cycle. We have been in the boom, Brexit and Trump were settling down and then suddenly crisis. After a boom, there is always a downturn and you need to understand the impact that the virus will have on the global economy and your business within that. Already some countries are coming out the other side and your business will also go through this cycle too. You will come through this but remember your business focus, be prepared to act and think differently, and don’t give up.
- Understand Change: You can’t wait for these economic crises to happen, you need to get ahead and take action now. Have a 90-day plan and do not think that this will blow over before then. If however you have used this time to become a leaner, faster and smarter business and it blows over before 90 days then you have still made positive changes that will have a longer-lasting impact on your business. The only constant in life is change. Look at your products, services, pricing, delivery and staffing. Use this time to do some serious analysis and strategic thinking.
- Cut back: This is going to be a time of real economic challenge for your business. Cash will be king and you’ll need to stop spending on certain things. Don’t stop spending on areas that will help you grow, like sales and marketing. But can you reduce your outgoings, renegotiate your fees and not do that upgrade you were planning?
- Extend your credit: Get it now while they are still lending. Get credit cards and extensions on the credit. It gives you the opportunity to extend the survival of your business. It might be that you don’t need it in 6 months’ time but at least you have it there now. Try and re-negotiate your rates and refinance if you can.
- Staffing cuts and changes: This might be the hardest decision you need to make. If you can not lay people off it is much better for moral. You could have your staff do less hours and you could consider letting people take holidays. You might need to do pay cuts and suspend any bonus programme you might have.
- Plan to work from home: This is going to be the reality now for many of you. The Government is encouraging us to do this and the technology is there to help you. What technology do you need to enable your staff to work from home? How will you do meetings and how will you get reports through. What processes and systems will you have in place? Do you have a customer service issue and simple things like collecting mail from the office? You need to be thinking all this through now.
- Online and Deliveries: Can you deliver your product or service virtually or physically? If you are in a restaurant how can you get deliveries into your customer’s homes? If customers aren’t coming to you how are you going to keep everything moving and get to them? Do you need to train staff? Key here is communication with customers and understanding what you can deliver.
- Marketing and Selling: I can’t stress enough that in times of economic crisis you should not stop your marketing. You must keep it going but your marketing is going to have to change. You can’t just think that your old marketing is going to work in this crisis situation as people are thinking about different things and are worried and fearful. Remember to be positive in all your communications. Create new offers and rates and know your numbers in terms of leads and conversions. In this market can you get cash upfront?
In conclusion: At this time it is vital that you keep and look after your existing customer base. Keep working with your customer base. Communicate with them and make sure you are reaching out all the time through deals and offers. Make sure your existing customers feel valued. You need to over-deliver on customer service right now and it will set you apart. Use the above points to help you make a plan now.
Sod surviving and let’s get thriving is a great idea, but what stops us?
- Is it the coronavirus?
- Is it the potential changes to the economy?
- Is it cut backs?
- Is it the government?
No, the reason you are not thriving (and I assume that you aren’t, as you are reading this) is far closer to home.
Watch this video and all will be revealed!
Or PPC Advertising, as it is often known, is a great form of marketing, but one that is easy to get wrong!
But Why? Why is so much money wasted doing Google Adwords? The answer is two-fold:
- Google Adwords is very, very good and it is also a very, very sophisticated system. However, being sophisticated means that it is also complex
- Therefore, if you attempt to do Google advertising by yourself and without any training, then often you might as well just flush a load of cash down the toilet
Listen to Steve Mills on Business Connections Live
talking about Google Adwords
Are you making and selling Hamburgers?
I was driving down to one of my clients one morning last summer, on a lovely summer’s day, listening to Michael Gerber on my PodCast.
I have a rule that if I am in the car on a work day, that is work time, so I must use this time to improve my knowledge in some way (you should try this it is a great way of learning about running a successful business).
Gerber is the author of the E-Myth and one of the world’s leading experts on small business.
To be honest, I was only half listening, when suddenly he said something that made me ‘prick my ears up’.
He started talking about how McDonalds first started. Ray Crock walked into the McDonald brother’s restaurant when it was a small local restaurant to sell them a milk machine. Ray noticed that the McDonald brothers had a fantastic business and so he approached the brothers asking to buy the franchise rites to McDonalds and as they say the rest is history.
History shows that Ray Crock bought the opportunity to franchise McDonalds for next to nothing, because that was what the McDonald brothers thought it was worth. They had tried to franchise the business, but let’s face it. In those days who would buy a franchise Burger Bar? The brothers believed that if someone wanted to be in the Burger Bar business they could just go ahead and start their own. The reason the McDonald brothers did not value their business was that they believed that they didn’t have the time to franchise it, as they worked every hour there making hamburgers.
This reminds me of what many business owners keep saying to me. They are too busy making hamburgers, or completing accounts, or repairing locks, or cleaning ovens, or designing websites, or whatever it is that the business does.
If you think about it, most people reading this article went into business X years ago and they went into business doing the work of the business.
If they had worked really hard and long hours where do you think they would be now? You are correct, still working very hard!
However, all successful businesses people go into business to run a business that completes accounts, or repairs locks, or cleans ovens, or designs websites, or whatever it is that the business does and they bring in experts to manage the other two departments in their business and they are:
- Marketing and sales
And sales and marketing for these successful business owners is exactly what we do.
My questions for you at this time are:
- What does your business need to do, look like and be in order for it to give you the life you want?
- What does it need to turnover in order to employ someone to do some of the work?
- What is your business going to be like when it is completed?
- Are you going you do anything as a result of reading this article and are you going to optimise your true marketing results?
If so, contact Steve Mills at www.stevemills.co
Prospecting for GOLD
Prospecting for sales is similar to prospecting for gold. Think of the people you know, your LinkedIn contacts, the people on your email database and your prospects as gold, and treat them as you would a gold mine.
Post a claim and work it constantly. Because if you neglect it, will find someone else claiming your fortunes. Worse yet, your position in your market can sit vacated, unattended, and ignored.
The fact that you are not working your gold mine effectively does not mean it is less valuable; it just means that the gold is harder to get, but you aren’t tapping into its immense potential.
This has never been more true than during the new COVID economy.
Pick up your phone and start getting in touch with friends, family, relatives, and past employers and take a genuine interest in them. Find out what they are doing; ask about their lives, their careers, and their families.
People love to talk about themselves, and they really love it when others take interest in them. Let them know what you are doing when it comes up, but understand that this is not a sales call. You are simply keeping in touch with them. In effect, with someone with whom you have been out of touch.
Make it clear that the intention of your call is to catch up with them and not to sell your products or services.
During all economies but especially during contractions, contacts and relationships are everything and you must prospect harder for sales
Have you ever heard the saying “You are short on people, not short on money”. The people you know either have the money you want or know people who do. It is those people who want and need your service.
So the more people you speak to, the better chance you have of discovering and selling to those people.
Want more great tips on how to generate lots of leads and turn those leads into sales? Click here
You’ll not only get access to my best sales, marketing and business course, you’ll find details of my classic How to win business on LinkedIn Course that will give you a better understanding of how to create sales for yourself in this tough economy.
As the ‘good book’ says “ask and you shall receive”
In sales, it is often said ‘if you don’t ask you don’t get’. I would also add – “If you don’t ask for the sale, or for a referral, people can’t say yes”.
In a world of technology and digital marketing, one of the most powerful marketing opportunities is referral marketing or ‘word of mouth’ as it is often known.
However, most businesses do very little to actively work on their referral marketing and rather rely on doing a good job and ‘hoping’ people will recommend them. This results in a general lack of referrals and sales.
In this document, we provide our clients with four systems for winning business from referral marketing
- Turn satisfied customers into raving fans
- The referral RESULTS System
- The written word
Before that let’s discuss your target market
Who could refer business to you? The truth is – anyone! However, there are people who are more likely to do so. These people include:
- Current, or past clients
- Prospects you did not convert
- Networking contacts
- Family and friends
- Friends of friends, customers, prospects, and your prospects contacts
The truth about referral
The truth about referrals are…
You are sitting on a ‘pot of gold’. A massive amount of CASH that all you need to do to get it is to ASK FOR IT.
Let’s look at the numbers. In this example, we just consider your current clients (but the same idea applies to everyone).
Let’s assume that you have 100 clients (just so we can talk percentage). Out of those 100 clients, 2% of them would not give you a referral (no one is perfect and let’s assume something went wrong with these two clients). Out of the remaining 98%, a full 20% have referred someone to you over the past year.
That leaves 78 people who would recommend you, but they just haven’t. Why?
- They are not focussed on recommending you
- They did not think you were looking for referrals (you always appeared to be very busy)
- They are busy and have not given it any thought.
So you now have 78 prospects who could refer you to the people that they know. Not only that but of the 20% who have already referred you, could you ask them for another referral?
Answer – OF COURSE YOU COULD!
Let’s look at the numbers
Let’s say you turn over £1,000,000. Currently, £200,000 comes from referrals from 20% of clients who refer you now. So that’s an average of £10,000 per referral. Let’s say you implemented a referral system in your business that managed to get a referral from 50% of people. Some of those people may give you lots referrals whilst others don’t give you any.
However, with these sorts of referrals, you would increase your turnover by £300,000 to £1,300,000pa. Not a bad ROI for NO marketing cost!
You then implement one, or all of the four ideas discussed
Turn satisfied clients into RAVING FANS
Why do people give you referrals? Because they are delighted with the products and/or services you provide.
So the questions are – How can you turn satisfied clients into Raving Fans? Raving Fans are not just satisfied with the service, or products you provide, but rather they:
- Love what you do, or your products
- You love working with them
- They buy from you again and again and would not buy from anyone else
- Recommend you on a regular basis.
All that said – All you need to do now is to work out what you need to do in your company to turn satisfied customers into Raving Fans. Obviously, I don’t know all your businesses and so I can’t tell you what you need to do in order to achieve this. However, I can tell you that one of the units in my consultancy service called RESULTS is all about creating Raving Fans. Take a look at www.stevemills.co
Having said that. Here is a list of the type of things you might want to focus on.
- Your new client induction process
- The look and feel of your building, shop, office and the people that work for you
- Your user surveys
- Doing something that none of your competition does
The RESULTS Referral System
The results referral system is the most powerful system there is for winning more referrals. The system basically involves ASKING.
As the good book says – ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE. AS many sales training courses state – IF YOU DON’T ASK, PEOPLE CAN’T SAY YES!
The question is how do you ask? Do you say – “Do you know anyone else who would be interested in the services we provide? If you do, then you are doing exactly the same thing as most people who ask for referrals. This way of doing it produced average results.
If you want above-average results, then learn, understand and use the system below:
Q1 – How long have you been in business?
Q2 – So I suppose in the time you have probably met a lot of other business people, haven’t you?
Notice the words “haven’t you” at the end. This is called a “yes tag” because it encourages a “yes” answer.
Q3 – From what you have said during our meeting you are very pleased with the service we have provided for you. Is that correct?
You have just got your second YES! (It important to get someone saying yes in order to get to the big YES at the end)
Q4 – Like most businesses, we tend to get many of our customers through word of mouth and as you stated we have increased your profit over the past six months by about 40%. I was wondering who in your opinion would be the top four people for me to contact so that we can benefit them, the way we have benefitted you?
Note the words “who you know” and not “Do you know anyone”
Q5 – May I ask for your advice?
This question almost always gets a “yes” since people love to be asked for their advice.
Q6 – Which of the people you’re thinking of would you advise me to contact first so that they can benefit in the same way that you have benefited from our service/products?
Q7 – So that it is easier for them to take my call. It’s OK to use your name, isn’t it?
This is a key question. Unless you can use their name when you follow up you don’t really have a referral – merely a cold lead. Notice how the question makes it easier for you to get permission by explaining the benefit to their contact of using their name as a referee – And notice the “yes tag” at the end of the question.
We call this section bribery (slightly tongue in cheek), but this is all about incentivising people for referring business to you. This can be done either upfront or backend. In other words, you can advertise this, or you can do it as a thank you.
The first thing to consider is – What are you going to give as your bribe? You could give a:
By the way, we give £100 to Cancer Research UK for every referral that we get. Just a thought!
The key to doing this successfully is giving enough to incentivise someone in order to get them to take action.
The written word
The last of the ways I wanted to include in this document I call ‘the written word’. The written word involves writing and asking people for referrals.
Before I continue with this section I would like to say that out of the four ideas I have shared in this document this is by far the worst one. Don’t make the mistake of sending someone a written message instead of calling and asking for a referral. Asking will outperform writing 10 to 1.
However, it is another opportunity and should be used.
So, the first thing we need to consider is where are you going to write text asking for a referral? The options include:
- The footer of your email
- You social media profiles
- The PS in a sales letter
- A referral page on your website
- Emailing and asking for a referral
- Etc, etc
The second thing to consider is – What are you going to say? Here are my thoughts?
I don’t know about you, but we win a significant amount of our business from word of mouth or referrals. In fact, last year we won 48% of our business from referral.
This being the case, I wanted to ask you a question. Who do you know that wants to grow their business and who might need our help?
As you know we help people in three ways.
Firstly, we help people who don’t understand modern digital marketing methods to do so.
Secondly, we work with people who simply don’t have the time to implement their own marketing, or at best do it ‘when business is quiet’. These people ask us to do the work for them.
The third group are people who run successful businesses but don’t really do any marketing. Rather they rely on referrals, networking and repeat business. These people are often underperforming and they are now ready to leverage their business and to take it to the next level.
To recommend someone to us simply call us on 07977 074497, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The key factor in any marketing activity is knowing what works and what doesn’t. Remember, it’s those who keep records that break records.
For details of the many other ‘Stealth Marketing’ approaches you can use to market your business, without your competition knowing, go to www.stevemills.co
Book your FREE place on our RESULTS Webinar
On this webinar Steve will explain how to improve your Sales & Marketing RESULTS
Book your FREE RESULTS Meeting
How to remove your current roadblock and learn. What's really stopping you creating the growth of your choice? How to increase sales in your business? How to scale your business and make more money?
Professional Business Growth Speaker
I am a Professional Business Growth Speaker and I speak regularly at exhibitions, conferences, events, and seminars all over the world.